Wednesday 1 October 2014

How OhHappyThread came about.

On the train to work now and decided that I should blog since I haven't done so in a long long time. Just started up a small business around a month ago and up till now I still can't believe I'm doing this. I've always been quite impulsive and I admit that but after sinking in the reality, I ask myself why do I start up this business so suddenly. Oh well. God works in wonderous ways. Maybe I should start off from here. Here we go...

So I was just looking through Instagram explore page and I saw this account that did really beautiful embroidery on these embroidery hoops. Then I was thinking that maybe I can do something like this too. I went out the next day to buy the materials ALONE. Super spontaneous. I never liked going out alone but I really wanted to try it out. So I did and went home to stitch up this. 



Then I came up with these. 


The 'apple of my eye' was a custom order. When I received that order Daniel told me I should come up with a name for my little business so people could identify me. So I did. Inspired by the Happy Day song by Tim Hughes. A song always sung in church and cell group meeting. I thought I could play around with words and added in the word thread. So anyway I designed my logo in like an hour (IKR) and started my Etsy shop and OhHappyThread's Instagram account. I started my first giveaway, the 'no place like home' hoop. Then during that time Public Garden emailed my OHT email to join in their Christmas markets. I thought they mass sent out their email to those who subscribed to their email subscriptions/updates. After that I realised I did not use my OHT email but my personal email for that. Then I realised that they must have found my OHT account through their notification when I followed them. It was definitely God's plan for me because before they sent this email I was already thinking if I should sign up for Public Garden as I have friends who were already vendors and I was helping out in their weekend markets. You must be thinking this is nothing because after all these I remembered that to be a vendor at Public Garden the vendors have to sign up on their website and to upload photos of their products for review and they'll decide if you can be a vendor at their market. God was telling me something.

Actually why I started this was because I was losing touch with my talent. I've always had this thing for the arts. I loved drawing and colouring and painting. Anything 2d related. I can't sculpt 3d arts for nuts. So that's why I went into design because I loved arts, but I wouldn't say that I don't love my diploma. I loved arts but design wasn't my thing. I liked anything aesthetically pleasing including food packages and I hate it when food menu doesn't come with pictures of the food. Its difficult trying to imagine what each dish is or looks like. Sorry for the sidetrack, I liked design but I don't think I loved it. The working hours is also an important factor to think about. 

So when I came across this new embroidery thing. I jumped on it. I loved it. It's this thing that makes me keep in touch with what I love and God's reminder for me that I still have this talent in me. 

Things has not been smooth sailing. Currently I'm communicating with my supplier and I'm sorta freaking out because I paid and he's not replying because it's China's national day and they are having holiday for a week. 

I was so distracted by the whole day yesterday. But I was reminded by Pastor Casey Treat's sermon on 'Be You'. He said to be you whom God designed you to be. And nothing is easy. The more challenges we face the more we are moving into God's will. We are created for good works. Not everything easy are good. 

I literally copied this from my notes. God showed me the way but difficulties will still come. I can only depend on Him. 

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." -Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment